Saturday, April 22, 2006

Blognone Tech Day 2006

Today I went to Blognone Tech Day 2006 seminar at Kasetsart University from 1.00pm to 5.30pm. The concept of the seminar was "Developer's Exchange", which was a mixed of various topics.

Each topic was described in a short and easy-to-understand way -- mainly to give the concept/overview about the topic and to introduce the presenter whom the audiences can contact later if they need more details.

Here're the topics covered today:
  • Ruby on Rails by Polawat Phetra
    I was late and by the time I arrived the presentation was almost finish. However, I still had a chance to see some demos and was impressed to see that your can create an AJAX-ed webpage with only a few lines of Ruby code.
  • Python on Zope by Sugree Phatanapherom
    Couldn't really catch up the details because I was sitting in the far back and could not see well. However, I think it's more difficult than RoR, and Sugree said there are not many hosts that support Zope. So just knowing that "Zope" exists is enough for me :)
  • Mono: Open Source .NET Framework by Wiennat
    A nice presentation about .NET Framework architecture, why Mono was developed and its features. BTW, Mono = Monkey XD
  • Emacs: Hacker's Text Editor by Poonlap
    Brief history of Emacs and introduction of its features. I've never seen a text editor that is capable of playing games, surfing internet, checking emails or even providing an AI to talk to. I just came back and emerged emacs right away, gotta try it!
  • IP PBX using Asterisk by Dome Charoenyost
    Completely lost about what the presenter said (out of my field, I guess). But we sure did enjoy the presentation and laughted a lot ^^
  • Linux Virtualization using Xen by Somphol Boonjing
    Shows another solution for virtual hosting on Linux. But I still think VMWare is better...
  • Game Theory by Jittat Fakcharoenphol
    Describes the Nobel Prize-winning theory of John Nash (there is a movie about him -- A Beautiful Mind). There were a bunch of examples, but I'm still not clear about how can it be used in real life =.=
  • Emerging Technology 2006 by ปรเมศวร์ มินศิริ
    Shows that the world is walking towards Web 2.0. In the future, all applications will run on internet and will be platform-independent.
  • Thai Word Breaking using ZWSP by Wason Liwlompaisan
    An idea of how to break Thai words correctly e.g. "ตากลม" can be separated into "ตา-กลม" and "ตาก-ลม" and both words do make sense. Lew's solution is to have a special Unicode character -- "ZWSP" (I guess it stands for something like "Zero-Width Space") -- inserted between each word. It seems to be an elegant solution but I still wonder how can we manage to input this special charecter between each word we typed?
Phew!... Quite a lot of topics in just 4 hrs and a half, right? However, it helps opening my vision about programming and new technology a lot. And I just love the Blognone t-shirt!! Hope there will be a seminar like this again :)

ps. Too bad I didn't get the Ubuntu Stickers :(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home