Sunday, April 23, 2006

Emacs and X.Org rgb

Due to Blognone Tech Day 2006 effect, I came home and installed Emacs to try it out. emerge -av emacs went fine without any errors but when I try to start emacs from Terminal, here's what I got:
$ emacs
Undefined color: "black"
Googling around, I found that Emacs was looking for "rgb.txt" which did not exist on my system.

This is because I'm using X11R7.0 -- a completely modularized X Window System, and it doesn't come with all the tools like X11R6.x package. So I have to manually emerge -av rgb to get the rgb application.

After emerge finished, I tried to run Emacs again and still got the same error. Another google search, it suggested I should take a look at /etc/X11/xorg.conf for RgbPath. In my xorg.conf, it reads:
RgbPath "/usr/lib/X11/rgb"
But "rgb.txt" wasn't there, so where is it? I typed in locate rgb.txt and found that the file was in /usr/share/X11. Then I modified xorg.conf according to the path that locate told me:
RgbPath "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
Restarted X, called up Terminal, typed "emacs" then hit Enter... and wheeeee! Emacs popped up! Time to check it out!


ps. Now I know one Emacs command -- C-x C-c :P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home